Recently reports have arisen linking the risk of vehicles with keyless ignition systems and carbon monoxide poisoning.

Vehicles installed with the “on / off” button that automatically turns the vehicle on or off with a push of a button were placing consumers at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning and death in the event a consumer were to park their car in the garage, and exit the vehicle without remembering¬† to turn the vehicle off.

Deaths have occurred as a result, and lawsuits have followed.

Car makers are required to protect consumers from foreseeable dangers, and industry experts contend that the risk of a driver forgetting to turn off their vehicle is real, and certainly foreseeable.

Industry experts suggest an automatic “shut-off” needs to be implemented as standard in such vehicles, and many vehicles include such devices today, however, older vehicles with no shut-off device have not been recalled – placing consumers at increased risk of danger.

Consumers are urged to take their vehicle into a local dealer and find out if a automatic shut-off device has been installed, and if not, to do so immediately.

See more about this story here.